As one of the fastest growing economies in Asia over recent years, the Philippines continued to expand at an impressive pace during 2017, buttressed by surging exports. Many analysts suggest the country’s economic performance in the coming years will be boosted by its ambitious infrastructure programme. Rising public expenditure could unlock the country’s full potential, improve its attractiveness to foreign investors, stimulate job creation and, ultimately, achieve growth that is both inclusive and broadly based.
For foreign investors eyeing up the Philippines as an investment proposition, perhaps one of the biggest challenges to overcome is one of perception: can the Philippines be relied upon to carry through what the country has planned to do? This is not to say that the environment is not changing. Indeed, the current government plans to cut red tape and attract investment. Its determination made plain by the passage of Comprehensive Tax Reform Program (CTRP) and the recent infrastructure build out targets. For the Philippines, maintaining this positive momentum is critical, irrespective of global headwinds, such as higher interest rates, rising oil prices and the trade spat between the US and China, which point to volatility ahead.
As the country’s economic managers navigate the uncertain global outlook, commentators can note that the Philippines’ demographics remain sound. A young population, a growing middle class driving consumption, rising income supplemented by overseas remittances and an expanding services sector are sources of strength that could serve as tailwinds maintaining the country’s steady economic progress.
Speakers / Agenda
- How do corporates approach funding amidst rising inflation?
- What are the best sources of financing for capital?
- Financial sector reform and the role of the capital markets
- What are the barriers to scaling green finance and how do we address them?
- What are the priority areas for green investment?
- What green facilities are available in the market today?
- What products can meet the demands of the country’s wealthy?
- How can wealth managers leverage technology to improve client experience?
- What measures are being taken to ensure investor education?
The Asset Events gathers our best-in-class editors in leading the conversation with the financial industry's brightest minds and most influential decision-makers. Our conferences, awards and strategic forums offer unique trends and insights and genuine peer audience engagement that are crucial in the transformation of businesses, industries and economies.
These discussions are showcased on The Asset's multi-media platforms before print and digital audiences of 130,000.